Discreet (Non-Standard Sample) Testing
DNAQ always strongly recommends that when submitting a sample for testing, it is collected using our specialised mouth swab collection kit. However, we also understand that for all cases it may not be possible to collect samples via this method. Therefore, we are also able to provide our clients with the alternate option of submitting discreet or non-standard samples for testing.
All testing of non-standard samples is undertaken in an ISO 17025 accredited laboratory. Once a DNA profile is successfully obtained DNAQ can provide proof of parentage that is up to 99.99% accurate.
Please note that as the source of non-standard samples typically cannot be verified, all discreet testing is for peace of mind testing only. The results cannot be used for any purposes except for your own peace of mind and the results will not be admissible in a court of law.
What type of discreet samples can be submitted for testing?
|Sample Type||Requirements||Success Rate||Price (per sample)*|
|Blood||Minimum 5 mL in a pathology tube or on FTA card||~99%||$130|
|Fingernails||Minimum 5 pieces of recent nail clippings||~90%||$130|
|Hair||Minimum 5 strands of hair with follicle attached||~95%||$130|
|Buccal Swab||Minimum 2 swabs (if not using our specialised mouth swab collection kit)||~85%||$130|
|Blood Stain||Minimum 2 spots. Each spot is to be a minimum of 3cm x 3cm||Not recommended due to low concentration and high chance of contamination.||$130|
|Semen Stain||Minimum 2 spots. Each spot is to be a minimum of 3cm x 3cm||Not recommended due to low concentration and high chance of contamination.||$130|
|Other||Please contact us to discuss other sample requirements and costs.|
*This cost is in addition to the cost of our Non-Legal Paternity Test, where the sample being submitted for one party being tested is a Discreet or Non-Standard Sample.
Please note if you would like both samples that are submitted for testing to be non-standard or discreet samples you will need to select ‘Non-Standard Sample’ x 2 on your application.
Important things to consider when using a non-standard or discreet sample
1. Will there be enough viable DNA on the sample?
While we will make every attempt possible to obtain a result, DNAQ can never guarantee that a discreet or non-standard sample will contain enough DNA or that a DNA profile can be successfully obtained.
To increase the probability of successfully extracting DNA and obtaining a single profile from a discreet item we recommend submitting an item mentioned in the table above. DNAQ always recommends submitting a sample using our standard mouth swab kit when possible.
2. Who else may have come into contact with the sample?
An important factor to consider is who else may have come into contact with the sample. Discreet samples are often contaminated, and the source of the sample cannot always be verified. For example, if you wish to submit a hair sample, we recommend obtaining fresh hair strands with the follicle attached rather than those that you may find on a hairbrush, as there is a possibility that the hairbrush may have been used by other people.
3. How was the discreet sample collected?
To make sure the item submitted is not contaminated by the collector’s DNA, you should always wash your hands or wear gloves, and avoid touching the sample if not necessary. When collecting hair samples, please ensure the collectors hair is tied back to avoid unintentional contamination.
- Upon application and payment DNAQ will mail a collection kit and paperwork to your nominated address.
- For non-legal tests, samples can be collected by the tested individuals themselves, at home.
- DNAQ uses mouth swabs for a simple and painless collection. If you are submitting a non-standard or discreet sample please enclose the item in the supplied biohazard bag.
- Once the samples are collected, please return all items in the supplied return envelope.
- If you have any questions regarding the collection process, please call DNAQ on 1300 172 837 in business hours.
- As soon as all samples are received, the case will be promptly processed. We endeavour to have the results mailed within 5-7 working days of the receipt of the samples. An Express service for processing is available at an additional cost.
- Results will be mailed to the person who organises testing, and any additional people as requested at time of application. Email copies may be sent if prior consent is given.
Discreet (Non-Standard Sample) DNA Test Disclaimer
- DNAQ will make every attempt to obtain a result from the samples that are submitted. However, due to the nature of Non-Standard Samples, DNAQ cannot guarantee that a DNA profile can be successfully obtain from these samples and the success rate noted above is a guideline only. Payment is required prior to submitting samples and no refund will be provided in the event a result cannot be obtained.
- DNAQ always recommends that when submitting a sample for testing, it is collected using our specialised mouth swab collection kit.
- Consent must be given by each person being tested and by a parent or guardian of the child if under 18. The person submitting the non-standard sample accepts full responsibility for submitting these samples and purchasing this DNA test from DNA QLD.